Hot springs of Cocalmayo
There is nothing better than taking a hot bath in nature while enjoying a drink of aguaymanto. Taking a swim in the Hot Springs of Cocalmayo is a great experience. It is situated between a vast river and a small mountain. In Cocalmayo, bathers can enjoy outdoor pools fed by natural hot springs, built between a small mountain full of vegetation and the Urubamba River. You will find three pools of different sizes and depths. The water temperature varies between 38 and 44 ºC, and unlike most hot springs in Peru, it has clear water. Very close to the pools, there are cold showers, the water comes from the lagoons of Uripata and is very refreshing; The water mixture will give you a very comforting feeling.
Where are the thermal baths of Cocalmayo?
The thermal baths of Cocalmayo are in the valley of the river Urubamba (Vilcanota) in a cozy and relaxing place. Its swimming pools naturally heated, reach 44 ºC. They are located 20 minutes from the town of Santa Teresa in the province of the Convention, in Cusco – Peru; Precisely in the kilometer 135 of the line between Cusco and Quillabamba, to 1,600 msnm
How much does the Ticket to the Hot Springs of Cocalmayo cost?
Entry Ticket Hot Spring Cocalmayo
Hot Spring of Cocalmayo
ADULT FOREIGNER PEN S/. 10.00
How to get?
No matter which route you take; By train, by bus or by walking, before or after visiting Machu Picchu, the tour will be exciting. We recommend relaxing in the pools before returning to your daily routine.
By bus from Cusco to Santa Teresa
- Take a bus from the city of Cusco to Quillabamba and get off at Poblado de Santa Maria. The trip lasts approximately 5 hours and is 221 km per paved road.
- Santa Maria is at 1280 meters above sea level. The climate is warm. The next destination is Santa Teresa, which is located 25 km from Santa Maria. From here, you must take another vehicle to travel for 1 hour until you reach Santa Teresa.
In Train of Ollantaytambo – Santa Teresa
- If you already take your train from Ollantaytambo and you are on your way to Machu Picchu, you can take the train and get off at the “hydroelectric” whereabouts, from here you can take a vehicle, which will take you in 20 minutes to Santa Teresa, or if you wish to Walk, it will take you 2 to 3 hours to reach Santa Teresa. If you do not know how to get to Ollantaytambo, enter here.
From Aguas Calientes to Santa Teresa
- After having visited Machu Picchu or if you have time before entering it, then you are very likely to want to know these baths. Please make plans to visit the thermal baths of Cocalmayo. It is a relaxing, unique, and memorable experience. Unlike the hot springs of Aguas Calientes, it has brighter and more tropical waters. There are two ways to get to the hot springs of Cocalmayo from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo).
- If time permits, you can walk from Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village). First, you must go to “Hidroelectrica,” this will take between 2 and 3 hours, through tunnels, bridges and the beautiful jungle landscape of the valley, following the train tracks. Once in Hidroeléctrica, walk for an hour and a half more to the town of Santa Teresa.
- The train tracks after leaving Aguas Calientes, arrive until “Hidroeléctrica”; The trip will take about 20 minutes and cost S/. 5.00 for national and USD 8.00 for foreigners are 6 km of beautiful jungle landscapes. From here, you can continue to Santa Teresa by car or on foot.
From Santa Teresa to the baths of Cocalmayo
- By car: The bathrooms are located 4 km from the city of Santa Teresa, collective cars depart every 20 minutes, from the Plaza de Armas de Santa Teresa, and take you in 10 minutes to Cocalmayo.
- Walking: You can also walk
It has hygienic services, changing rooms, showers, lockers, and resto-bar. It has a camping space and a kiosk where you can buy food and drinks. Bringing a good repellent nature gives us a unique and unparalleled scenario, but also presents the typical insects of the jungle areas. With a repellent, you will avoid small mosquito bites.
Anyway, it is a tranquil place to spend with family, friends and couples, and you can relax and fill yourself with good energy, highly recommended for those who want to de-stress and for their medicinal properties to those who suffer from bone pain, skin ulcers, and rheumatism. We assure you that you will not want to leave once you are inside.